Liberation Prison Yoga Training (minimum 12 hours): Preliminary step to be recognized as a Liberation Prison Yoga teacher. This training does prepare you to start a program and/or teach in a correctional facility on your own accord.
Different traumatized populations are found inside prisons and jails, and incarceration is itself a traumatic experience. How do we offer a safe space within an inherently unsafe environment? How do we reach people who’ve been shut down by trauma and mental illness? How do we set boundaries?
During this workshop, we will explore power dynamics, within ourselves and as reflected in the outside world, and in the justice system.
You will learn tools to work with to heal from trauma, to work with traumatized populations and how to reverse trauma. You will practice and maybe even teach in the trauma-conscious style.
We will do meditations and mindfulness exercises in the specific Liberation Prison Yoga method, focused on unconditional, non-judgmental acceptance rather than on accountability and changing behavior.
No professional teaching certification is required to take the workshop, though having an active yoga/meditation practice is helpful.
Please note that taking the Liberation Prison Yoga Training does not automatically grant volunteer teacher placement with Liberation Prison Yoga facilities. The training is the first step of the process.
In this workshop we will cover:
- Social Conscience and the Importance of safety in yoga
- Healing Global Trauma
- How trauma affects the brain: Science behind trauma-conscious practices
- A Liberation Prison Yoga Empowerment Practice – Level I
- The 12 Elements of a Trauma Informed Practice
- Teaching from the heart
- Conversation about race and privilege
- Logistics of volunteering inside a prison or jail
- Working with mothers, babies, and pregnant women
- A Liberation Prison Yoga Empowerment Practice Level II
- The art of connecting to emotionally shut-down students
- The Psychopath-Empath-Apath triad
- Practice-teach break-out groups: discussion, guided meditation and trauma informed yoga
- How to set up your own prison program
The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness
by Michelle Alexander
Overcoming Trauma through Yoga: Reclaiming your Body
by David Emerson and Elizabeth Hopper, PhD.
New Jack: Guarding Sing Sing
by Ted Conover
Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption
by Bryan Stevenson
We’re All Doing Time: a guide for getting free
by Bo Lozoff
Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of Psychopaths Among Us
by Robert D. Hare, PhD.
Anastasia: by Vladimir Megre
Find Liberation Prison Yoga on
Cancellation Policy: Full refunds are given up to one week before the start of the training. For cancellations one week or less before, half the cost will be refunded.